Pillars of Seminary Life

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Called to Love "Unconditionally"



As a Fourth Year Seminarian in the initial stage of formation, I have experienced being assigned to different apostolate areas: San Vicente, Kalayaan, and Southville 8C in Montalban. I have also served in Botocan (one of APC's of PLDM - Parish of the Lord of Divine Mercy) as I have lived there for two months.

Being assigned to different areas made me realized that there are two kinds of people in the area: those who love you and those who don't care for you. 



THOSE WHO LOVE YOU
These people are sweet, kind and affectionate. They are the comfort zone for every seminarian for they are deemed to be inspiring and encourage him to persevere. I am more connected to these people because I received affections that every person needs.


THOSE WHO DON’T CARE FOR YOU
These people are grumpy, demanding, mean and insensitive. They are the uncomfortable zone to every seminarian for they are deemed to be challenging. I am more distant to these people because I felt discouraged, inefficient, unimportant, failure and disappointment.

Upon hearing the homily of Fr. Restituto Audal, one of my formators, I realized an important characteristic of a missionary, A MAN OF SACRIFICE which for him has to find the lost sheep of Israel. Most lost sheep are those people who don’t care for you. Sadly speaking, I have to bear the cross of serving them even they would not repay you, ignore you, hurt you, and degrade you.

How would I be a missionary if the human tendency is to seek comfort? – Then the definition of a missionary by Saint Anthony Mary Claret would answer: “ Nothing daunts him: he delights in privations, welcomes work, embraces sacrifices, smiles at slander, rejoices in all the torments and sorrows he suffers, and glories in the cross of Jesus Christ.” One should rejoice if he is tormented, smile if slandered. That is a beautiful irony of being a true servant of the WORD because for a missionary nothing should daunt him to spread the LOVE of God.

I have to bear with the calling to become a missionary as I, too, respond to the call of loving “unconditionally.” Even though it’s hard but a missionary would always be called for transcendence as to go beyond the line of humanity.



No comments:

Post a Comment