Pillars of Seminary Life

Monday, January 11, 2016

The Thousand Needs and Smiles of Kalayaan


“A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside.”
-Denis Waitly

I was assigned to San Vicente before and there I found fascination with the things I’m doing. When 2nd Semester came, the reshuffling of areas happened. I felt frustrated because I have a new area and I felt that I haven’t finished what I have started there. However, I should accept it because there’s no way of rejecting it. Moreover, at that time I learned that my area is Kalayaan. Whenever I heard stories about Kalayaan I can’t miss hearing the words “No lunch.” That’s why my initial implication to Kalayaan is that the work is hard.

It was the third Sunday of October 2014 when I’ve been to Kalayaan. I never expected that my first day in the area would change my perspective on the mission I am assigned. When I was in San Vicente I can say, yes, we do eat lunch there, and the mission we’re doing was OK, but in Kalayaan even though no lunch, the call for mission out-stands. I felt ashamed of the prejudices I have because what defines the real mission is not the fact that someone sustains our needs, but the fact that someone shares the needs and smiles. Needs and Smiles, these two things made me thought a lot of times. 

Smiles. When I got there, I was welcomed with a smile. When we walked for an area orientation, smiles are what I received. What can I ask for more from them, if a single smile makes my day, and a thousand smiles make my life? Though it’s not a literal thousand, looking from the smiles of some people, they worth thousands. I feel blessed and came to realize I love now this area and it deserves something special from me. I am challenged to justify what they have given to us and for that, I am really willing to give my best efforts and time for them. Even though, I’ve been there for only two days (the third Sunday of October and November) the calling for the mission is always heard.


Needs. Facing the problems of the people there, I can say it is a financial matter. The challenge is posed because of the sharing of stories they have. The people are rich in spirituality that they can say it is the will of God. There was an old lady who lives in her house all alone and inflicted with an illness.  When we came to her, she has shown her medicines, prescriptions, bills, etc. It really broke my heart to see that kind of condition. She is alone in life and no one supports her. She said, “Kakatapos ko nga lang umiyak, buti nga at nabisita kayo’t gumaan ang loob ko.” That time I realize that we somehow bring joy to some people in the places we have been assigned. We are capable of touching lives.

I am willing to walk an extra mile for the people of Kalayaan. The BEC coordinator is enthusiastic, their Vice-Coordinator is so caring, the people indeed there are full of good values which I’m more inspired to continue my vocation. The two visits I had there left a great impact on my personality and spirituality. It also brought me to other questions such as, how to be a missionary to them? What are those things that can I do more? and How can I return the goodness they have shown me?

No comments:

Post a Comment